NC State University’s commitment and practice is to provide timely performance feedback to each SHRA employee. The development of annual performance plans and regular performance appraisals provide an opportunity for employees to understand how their responsibilities and performance expectations align with the goals and priorities of their work unit and the University’s strategic plan initiatives. The SHRA Performance Appraisal Program places emphasis on both institutional goals and individual goals while streamlining the content of the performance plan, standardizing the categories for evaluation, increasing the accuracy and defensibility of performance ratings, and promoting effective communication between employees and supervisors. The policy and program applies to all SHRA probationary, time-limited and career status employees.
Below you will find resources, including FAQs, which may prove helpful regarding the SHRA Performance Appraisal Program. If you have additional questions, please contact your departmental Human Resources Office or NC State’s Employee Relations team at (919) 515-6575 or via email at email@example.com.
- SHRA Performance Appraisal Program (pdf)
- SHRA Performance Appraisal Summary (pdf)
- 2022-2023 SHRA performance Appraisal Program Timeline (pdf)
- 2021-2022 SHRA performance Appraisal Program Timeline (pdf)
- Virtual Performance Management Toolkit – updated 2/2022
Employee Learning Plan Discussion Guide
The Employee Learning Plan Discussion Guide is an optional resource that managers and employees can use as part of the performance-planning process at NC State. The guide is offered in an abbreviated and a comprehensive version. University Human Resources created this guide to help facilitate a performance-planning discussion that focuses on employees’ professional goals, motivations, talents, strengths and development.
- Comprehensive Employee Learning Plan Discussion Guide (pdf) – updated 03/2022
- Abbreviated Employee Learning Plan Discussion Guide (pdf) – updated 03/2022
Please download each form before completing.
The forms were intended to be templates and must be SAVED AS new documents to enter data into. 1) In Word document, double-click the grey area at the top to enter data because it is set up as a header to repeat on all pages. 2) When ready to complete the rest of the form, double-click below the header area to activate. 3) For PDF, open the form, and SAVE AS a new document. Open new saved document, click in a field to activate, and enter data.
SHRA Performance Appraisal Tools
- SHRA Performance Appraisal Form (Word Doc)
- SHRA Performance Appraisal Form (PDF Fillable)
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Learning Plan Template (Word Doc)
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Learning Plan Template (PDF Fillable)
- Addendum for Additional Off-Cycle Reviews (Word Doc)
- Addendum for Additional Off-Cycle Reviews (PDF Fillable)
- Optional Employee Self Assessment (Word Doc)
- Optional Employee Self Assessment (PDF Fillable)
- Final Overall Rating Calculations Worksheet (Excel Doc)
- Supervisor Checklist (PDF Fillable)
- Institutional Goals
- Creating SMART Individual Goals
- Distinctions Within Rating Scale
- Types of Rater Bias
- Sample Completed Form Business Services Coordinator
- Sample Completed Form HR Consultant
- Sample Completed Form Social-Clinical Research Specialist
- SHRA Employee Grievance Policy
- SHRA Performance Appraisal Policy
Registration for both instructor-led training and online training will be processed through the new online registration system, REPORTER. Please use our Reporter Help Documentation for assistance in navigating REPORTER.
- SHRA Performance Appraisal Program Supervisor Training
- SHRA Performance Appraisal Program Employee Training
Submit Questions or Comments